Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Studio Building Flooded


Its been raining cats and dogs over here.   After three days of downpour, the North-South Expressway in Changlun was submerged under 2m of water and it were closed since yesterday afternoon. I got  stuck in massive traffic jams for more than an hour when driving to Jitra studio. Whoops……Luckily I came out a bit early and  I arrived on time too!  Usually it was often less than 20 mins if off peak.   

As I was about to go out from my car, it started raining very hard. I thought I would be better wait  in the car  until the rain stop. While waiting, I received a few phone call from my  students that  they have not been able to come to class, some said they need to pack and move their belongings to a safe place. Finally  I  cancelled  the whole evening 2 classes. At that moment,  I felt it was very unlikely that water could have risen so high so fast.

This morning,  I received a phone call from a student, things got worse that  studio area already flooded. Some residents there have not been so lucky!! Some of  my students were forced to move to their relative house. If the heavy rain continues, I think Wednesday class will be cancelled.

I followed up with my student through a phone call couple of time this morning.  Over the phone  I could hear  the sadness voice of women who lived in close by area,  I heard they had exhausted battling to save their  properties from the flood. I watched  the flooded picture/video on facebook,  I saw some guy were rescuing some old people  out of the flood with a ‘sampan’  in nearby area. 



  
It is raining, raining and raining. Some friends told me it will  rain for at least the next 2 days – maybe longer. There was still LOTS of water at  the studio building. In the past I have often read about calamities in newspapers or followed the coverage on television. I never have any flood experience, I remember my friend told me  about this exact same flood in 2005. I’m much more aware of flooding hazards these days.  Its really going to be a hard job even the smallest amount of water damage the house  can be extremely hazardous. And clean-up after a flood requires a lot of time!  

to be continued.... need to have lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment