Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Teaching Young Children Belly Dance

Do you teach young children belly dance? Years ago I have a group at age 4 - 6 and it was tough tough tough, inevitably some children are not challenged in a lesson at some point. If you have done so successfully please give some ideas and success stories.

I have another group at age 6 -12 started last year. They are the oldest one and ready for the challenge. Recently, I open another children belly dance class on Sunday. There are my new babies from age 6 – 10.

I noticed that some of the children learn some new skills, movement by copying others (either locomotor or nonlocomotor). I’m sure you already know, children tend to be impressed by visual and imagery. When considering the different stages of development reached by individual in the class, I have to look at some foundation-building component and see how I want to relate the body movement & etc. I don’t expect high quality technique for hip drop but expect a little more grace with movement when they practice the basic things.

I have to admit that the teaching of young children is an art that needs to be studied. The techniques of teaching is different compare to my adults class. And because dance is physical activities, I set the importance of a careful warm-up before dancing. The main thing is getting the young children to stretch and get as much range of motion during these exercises. As I always say, make your body taller, reach your arms to the ceiling, touch your toes with your fingers while straighten your knees…

I have three simple parts of lessons : Warm-up, Activity & Cool Down to use in my children class. In the early stages of the activity part, the skills may not look anything like dance, just as in any sport like jumping, walking & etc making sure I am challenging them appropriately, but not to the point of them giving up.

Through the years, the oldest have improved and know how to belly dance. One of the greatest blessings for me, is that I GET TO LEARN along-side with young children with kinds of shimmies.

No comments:

Post a Comment