Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Learning To Choreograph

I taught a very fun choreography last night and my students goes wow! It was some different moves put together and make it a little complicated. Ahh...... I was impressed by their attention when they practiced over and over again. This group jumping to intermediate level recently, one of them able to repeat a complex 16 counts phrase after seeing me dance only once. That’s cool! She really put in an effort to start with a good foundation in classical technique so she could make a good dance.

After teaching dance for 5 years, I must say learning to choreograph is a skill that takes years of practice, it takes a lot of sacrifice, takes a lot of giving of myself to gain worldly experience and be able to put aside enough time to create and rehearse the dance. Sometimes, all it takes is forcing myself to practice either memorization or improvisation. At times, I got a ‘mental blocked’ when finding ways to work through improvisational. Haha… hopefully I’m not sending into ‘Tanjung_Rambutan one day!!!

Don’t worry, I am normal although I am struggle appropriate movement through exploration and improvisation. Over the days I worked on this, to erase my ‘mental block’, I would put my dance aside and allow me to incubate new ideas. I am patience enough, I know the development stages is a trial-and-error process of seeing, experiencing, and learning. Dance dance dance!! It has to be related to the rest of the world. In order to gain a better sense of what makes up a whole dance, I continue to train, find inspiration in other art forms, stay in shape and practice dancing!

Okay well, I am still in the process learning to choreograph, I keep meaning to start a blog how I created my own dance but haven’t yet. I’ll be back with a bunch of reviews, stay here to read on....

No comments:

Post a Comment