Friday, July 10, 2009

Practice Sessions

Can everyone perfect their arms look EXACTLY the same in a group?

Last week we practiced a new choreography for the group dance competition. It has been a real struggle for me - first selected of music that is interesting to encourages students to have fun with their dancing!

Suddenly, I am concerned about more than their body movements and arms placement. It’s time to polish up themselves and show the world what they know and also take their dance skill to a new level.

When conducting the students practice, an even balance of technique training and practicing choreography is crucial. At first it was frustrating, but I’ve learned to deal with it. I don’t want them to be a dance robots because they are dancers. I hope to see more strong technique since they practiced the series of steps over and over for weeks.

For this, I require a commitment, a large commitment from my students, especially when they are in group competing. Furthermore, it is not just practice and a good dance that will get you to a competition it also costs some money of costume, travel & accommodation.

Some of them were disappointed when forgetting the step, some afraid of anything mistake, afraid anything different, afraid of what others will think…oh dear, but I don't think anyone needed to be sad. My words is – Be positive! you are here to learn and not to win, if you make mistakes, learn from them and move on. And remember, we didn’t learn to run overnight. We'll learn to crawl first, and then walk, before we run.

I hope all my students learn something positive from every situation, pay attention details to the lines, levels and formations and responsible to your spacing. Ham it up, act out a part, listen to the music and let it tell you what to do. MOST IMPORTANTLY, GIVE YORSELF PERMISSION TO DO WELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment