Monday, January 18, 2010

Tribal Style Belly Dance - Cues, Transition & Formations




Woke up at 6am and went all the way to Penang to fetch Nanci. Almost reaching Penang bridge, Nanci called and told me she missed her 7am flight. So she took the next flight to Penang. The workshop was delayed for half and hour to start. Thanks God, the participants won't have to wait too long.

In the past few months Tribal Belly Dance workshops series with Nanci Traynor, we focus on culture, clothing, theory, music history, drilling and dance the 8 basic movement, all of this is enrich my experience. And now, I don’t need to take my best guess what is exactly under the big old tribal umbrella. To me, tribal style is about community, a group improvisational style, a distinct type of dress, and attitude.


During the Cues and Transition, Formation workshop yesterday, Nanci want us "put it all together" to dance and lead. She cued the music with her voice “Yip” when is dancers turn to lead and it turned out great! We didn’t discuss what we would do and then let instinct take over. Yea…It was so much fun. We used this same technique practice non stop we love it.

I noticed that all the workshop participants know how to follow that troupe format. I am glad that they (including my little girl Grace) do not intend on this being the only format they follow, but they do understand number of moves and lead. And we mirror each other from across the room without losing the connection. There is something in our spirit open enough to let any dancers in. See, we know the cues, transition and formation but for the most part we go by instinct to follow each other when we dance. This is the best high!

I felt part of tribe. I am familiar with their style, I only need a small amount of time to click or connect with tribe dancers. I can greet them, and I can have a conversation through dance. I don't need to spend a lot of time on repertoire for this dance, I am now part of a community in Tribal Style Belly Dance Malaysia. Hurray!

Spending all day doing this is exhausting, but I love it. Lalalalalalalalala…..Yip!

No comments:

Post a Comment