Saturday, January 9, 2010

Drills, Skills and Improvising

Review my beginner class on Thursday night. This class is not similar to my others. Before I started this class, I got headache on how to teach this mixed level class. The students in this class – some are with me for 3 to 10 months, some have been dancing with me for years, some have not taken belly dance at all, I found this is very interesting and make me step back from my own teaching style.

Example I taught a “step-touch” forward and backward and added challenge to a “step-touch”. I’ve become more aware of how I am teaching students, inspiring them, and motivating them to look at belly dance as more than exercise or something fun to do, but also as an art form that can change lives.

We drills and skills some basic step for a number of times, I want them understanding of the power of music. Not just the ability to move their body. For those ladies had been dancing with me, I also want them to feel the music that stir the soul. I want them to hear the music, feel the music, and be moved by music. I put on the music without me dancing, I told them to improvising to music, expresses their personality, add their arms movement and I stick to certain ‘safe’ step traveling around. You know what? They were shy and afraid to look silly when learning to improvise dance, particularly it is new to them. I replay the music 3 times push them continue to make it interesting.

After the class over, the ladies realized that drillings is one skill all dancer can improve on and is essential to them. Seeing them beings understanding my movement creation gave me a mental high for the rest of the weekend.

Our next lesson is challenge yourself by changing the musical styles, travel around creating interesting and varied dance movements, whatever your style as a dancer, put on the music and see where it takes you, be true to yourself and to the way the music makes you feel.

So true! Practice and learn good technique, and let your style come though on its own. Don't skip fundamental skills
.

No comments:

Post a Comment