Friday, September 4, 2009

Saidi Rhythm - Dum Tek Dum Dum Tek

I remember when I did the cane dance choreograph for my student in recent competition, she refused to use the cane because trawling the cane caused pain in her wrist. She told me she don’t like the cane dance since she learned once in my previous lesson - that was Yaho by Hakim.

She want to dance Saidi without cane. I understand that a cane is an optional prop for Saidi-style. But that is nothing wrong dancing saidi without cane because the organiser don’t bother what we are gonna to dance. As a teacher, I insisted include cane in my Saidi because of the Step-hops to this music. I explained cane are fun to dance with, end up she practiced a lot! Haha…she is always lovely.

If the competition is Rakset Assaya or Raks Al Assaya, then you must dance with cane/stick because Rakset Assaya is actually means "stick dance" which I learned from workshop. You can dance Saidi without cane as long as there is a saidi rhythm. Maybe I am wrong, hopefully one day I can ask more when I go to the cane workshop.

I love saidi rhythm ' Dum Tek Dum Dum Tek….' I just Love it Love it lo….And I love cane dance. The 1st workshop I hosted was Saidi cane dance in 2006 and I have only 5-6 participants (too bad no supporter want to come). I love most of MED songs and rhythm. To me, MED rhythms are so great, either 'Dum Tek Dum Dum Tek' or 'Dum Tek Tek Dum Tek... ' Well, .enough with my 'thoughts out loud' here.


No comments:

Post a Comment