Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Music Count & Steps

When it come to dancing, we all learn in different ways. Some of us are fast learner, visual learner, some of learn by just doing...etc. Seems like common sense doesn't it?
DRUMBEATS are the HEARTBEATS of belly dance music. A dancer must understand the rhythm to dance well. When I started belly dance, I had no idea learning about belly dance rhythm. I remember I had the experience in my 1st class of thinking “Oh, this looked easy, but it is really HARD”. I still remember the feelings of being lost as a beginner, standing motionless on the floor like a statue.
I remember the very first time I ever heard the structure of music counted with the help of my dance teacher. I found it extremely hard to count steps while dancing. She told me we need to connect to the music through the count. She then demonstrated the sets of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8....
So I COUNTED the beats in the class. If I don’t count out loud, my student cant really find the beat on their own. I always start a count of 1 or a “five, six, seven, eight” in my beginner class. I emphasized each count of the music. I found it interesting that when I start the count, I could confirm that I was on the beat and so do my student.
Not long ago I took the oriental dance teacher training, I was told “DON’T COUNT, JUST LISTEN TO THE MUSIC, FEEL TO THE MUSIC, DANCE TO THE MUSIC, NO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...Without feeling you cant dance!” I know she was trying to make everyone understand that the music needs to be felt.
That being said, most good dancers probably don't "Count" while dancing? But counting can be a useful tool while learning, and I'm sure. Long ago, I spent at least some time counting beats and counting steps LOL!.
I try not to be a fan of counting and dancing as much nowadays, I want to dance "only" by feeling" the music...I don't like counting beat because it pulls my emotions from the song. And YES! My music is heard and felt as much by my heart and soul as by my ears.
Belly dance requires musicality, coordination, grace and presentation. Till today, I will say the same thing, it is really HARD, it's take time to learn! How about you? Count or not count?


No comments:

Post a Comment