Monday, August 9, 2010

Belly Dancing to Live Music Workshop



This is my first time attended the Tempo Advance workshop on 8th August – Dancing to the live music - Tabla and Flute!!!

I signed up in the afternoon workshop about a week a go! Huh…..The experience of live music is ‘hard’! The workshop only two hours long. 10 of us joined in this session and I heard some are joining in the evening workshop. In the workshop, the Iranian musician first explained a little main instruments history & the Arab rhythmic he is gonna to play! We were told everybody have to dance. We have to make up dances and get others participants  to see and comment. We will not sure what is  going to turn into something when we dance to it. Everything we  do is experimental … that’s what it should be!  

The demonstration dancer for this workshop was Nanccy’s daughter - Mandana, a well known belly dancer and almost work 3 nights a week belly dancing in the restaurant. The musician played his instruments and  Mandana demonstrated a section of her dance movements/steps. Each pose or step answers accurately to the phrases of music.

I have to say it is quite different from any other workshop. Though the Tabla session - my dancing was mostly hip drops, Arabic shimmy, double step, turn, shimmy & etc and funny faces as the music would changed in for a few seconds and disappear again ;P!!  I don't feel too bad about it, when I hear the version play differ slightly, it is up to me  to listen attentively for changes. (Thankfully, this was one of a great tips from Nanccy before we started the dance)!  I know the rhythm I can dance to it, but I was  too concentrated to the handsome musician all the time, my back was facing to the audience when I danced…

Well, belly dancing to live music workshop  is not always available! I have not much information to share as I am unqualified to write about the musical  instruments. But for someone  who is good with the musical skill, the workshop  would definitely easy for them! The most important thing I learn  is listen to the music and let the music dance me! It is also important for belly dancer to know the music specific themes such as maksoum, baladi, saidi and so on if you want to dance the live music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment