Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Back To Judging 2nd MODF Belly Dance Competition

Just in time for all of the “2nd Malaysian Open Dance Fest” news. The Dance Fest, organinesed by the International Dance Organization Malaysia (IDOM) was held at Olympic Council of  Malaysia Sport Complex in Kuala Lumpur on 28th August 2010. I was honored to be back to be  one of  the  adjudicator  for belly dancing again. Unexpected, the turnouts this year are “overwhelming”. The belly dance contestants  in 2010 are much higher than what I have seen so far. It was a huge success for MODF.

The Belly dance categories competition were : Individual Junior under 12, Individual Novice, Intermediate and Advance (Live music). The organiser segregated the competition into different age groups. I was happy with the ‘need’ to segregate the competition because it is all about the energy and presentation. There were Novice (Open), Crystal (age 30-44 years old), and Diamond (age 45 and above) in all categories. Additionally, I believe it’s important to give Diammond women the opportunity to dance. It is glad to see women have a platform to demonstrate their dance creativity. It is not about how good they are, but the things they’ve done to get this far. At least they are out there having fun, and I am happy to see that. So women at all age, keep dancing!

The troupe belly dance - I felt each of troupe competition Rocks! They really hone and express their creativity, master their teamwork skills and self-confidence, the competition is better and bigger than ever! Love it!!! But too bad, the IDOM only want us to select 3 teams. In the end, there were 4 teams in the finalist because 2 teams were placed with the same score. It’s cool!! 

My eyes get blurry at the end of the day. I have seen a few potential participants who can definitely win. When the results announced, I actually was shocked at those were good [being in that position]. I think, for the most part, judges try to be fair. I have nothing to base this on besides my belief that people try to do the right thing. 

My whole experience is, seeing the kids, girls and women work so hard and put all of their effort into this, really touches my heart. There were many students dancing to Jillina choreography too. Most of them were from the same studio/teacher, they were like one big party, Sorry to say, I felt it’s a shame the students just do Jillina's choreography. Some are not having a good techniques... I felt hard to select the best one actually. “A good judge is upbeat and appreciative of the efforts of every body”, no matter what the skill level. Sigh…not to blame, there is no regulation or any guidelines set up for participation. I do hope the IDOM members workout the guidelines in the future to upgrade the standard of dance. 

Group Photo of  2nd MODF Adjudicators
 2nd MODF - Belly Dance Adjudicators
I hope everyone are happy with the results! My students joined the competition. Although I was one  of  the  5 judges, but not all of my students win! We won the 1st runner up in Individual Novice (Open) and 2nd Runner Up Individual Junior Under 12. How I wish the rest could made it to the finalist because they really work hard for this competition. And compare to others, I have no doubt about their techniques and how  my choreography steps are executed. But it’s ok, winning or losing isn’t important, the act of getting on the dance floor itself makes my student a winner. I’m so happy about is that my student actually has her personality. She’s coming out [of her shell] and I think she’s becoming really proud of herself. 

And we always had a great time while practice, we have had a fun dancing/travel together, experience, good memories and our relationship get closer!

Photos uploaded on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. Bravo Annie!!! You are the Best!! Keep up the good job! I love you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie,

    I went through your blog and found it loaded with great content. Good to see your article of belly dance here! Just wanted to let you know to keep up your good job! Good luck and all the best to you.

    Lisa from USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,
    I am so happy to hear that you student won. i am sure you did a fantastic job and had great great time during the competition.

    Its such a pity i couldn't join you gals this year,i would love to take park in next year,do keep me up-dated your news.

    Hugs,
    JML

    ReplyDelete