Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Eskanderany - Eskanserani - Melaya Dance

Feel so lazy these days in blogging and I couldn’t think of any interesting subjects to post. Aside from that, I've finished my new choreograph song (3.18 minutes). I found a piece of a classic song on the same CD album and I love so much, when I began choreographing I realized the huge obstacle in front of me. I found out the meaning of this song is means a girl/person from Eskanderany, or Eskanserani (Alexandria, Egypt). Oh ya, most of the Eskanderany dance is Melaya Leff dance (or Melaya , Milaya) Although I've been dancing for years, I still came across information about the dance was new to me.


Traditional costume of this dance is Melaya (large black scarf wrapped around the dancer's heads and body), it is part of Alexandria women dress. The dance is always tricky and best for advance students. And me, I only had a 3 hours Melaya workshop with Nuriyya in Singapore few years ago. After that workshop, I said Thanks to Nuriyya and told her I love the style of this dance. I told Nurriya I wanted to perform the dance. I still remember she was very happy and encouraged me to practice and send a video to her if I perform the dance. Then the next day, I went to Arab Street to get my Melaya. It drives me crazy that Malaya was expensive and yet most are made with a square black fabric. Especially since I know that some costumes I can make better than what I can buy. Anyway… no real measurements how to make, finally I bought the Melaya home and had some time to practice it..


Three months later I met Nurriya in Cairo, her first question was “Annie, how is your Melaya dance, do you perform on your hafla?” I smiled and told her No because I am not an Alexandrian women, and not cheeky and flirty when up on the stage. Haha…..made excuses for myself. Again, I promised to her, I will dance to it but till today I don’t. Admittedly, a Melaya is such a great prop, I hope to attend a couple of Melaya workshops before I start to choreograph it.


I did some research of the Melaya dance music/history today, I don’t have much info about the dance but I've picked up a bit here and there. Sorry, I am not going to go into detail in this post as it would take too much time, simply click here to read http://www.raqs.co.nz/raqs/milaya.html if you love the Melaya dance.


That’s ll for now, get back to work, busy day….

No comments:

Post a Comment