Monday, December 7, 2009

My Calf Muscle Torn

Thank God for Nanci. Always interesting to see different teachers styles. A couple of REALLY good tribal workshops! After a few different basic move but then explored LOTS of different ways to learn Tribal Belly Dance. The "Mirroring each other " part of the workshop is open myself to new experiences. I had so much fun and felt really creatively inspired! My arms were so tired, my hamstrings were cramping! The 6 hours’ time just rushed past too quickly. I learned that Nanci needed to be at the airport for around 5:45 pm, then we quickly rush to the airport.

I love this cute chest circle, can you do it ? Remember the 1/4, 1/2, 1/2 1/4!

Diagonal to right - Chest circle to R/B/L/F
½ turn start with left foot,
½ turn come back to position.
¼ turn to diagonal to left - Chest circle to L/B/R/F
½ turn start with right foot,
½ turn come back to position.
¼ turn to diagonal to right & repeat.

I usually will run through the moves after workshop or to review the notes. I was tired last night, after rest awhile and regain my strength, I spent a lot of time moving around the floor. Hmmm…and suddenly, I heard a ‘pop’ and felt a bang on my left calf, I was feeling like someone threw a rock at my leg!! I turn my head and look around around, not sure what’s went wrong, all of sudden I cant put my weight on my left foot. I screamed because of deep pain, I then shout my mom for help, she applied the massage cream and help me to patch ‘traditional china koyok’ on my calf. This is the only way she can do in the mid night. Thank to my mom have to poured water for me.

My mom and my friends said I have damaged the achilles tendon. Both of them said this could be a partial rupture. This morning I went straight to KMC before I go to my office. According to orthopedic doctor, it was my muscles torn in my calf. The doctor told me to stay off from exercise for as long as it takes heal completely. He recommend at least 2 weeks, and make serious calf stretching an integral part and icing it on and off. While sitting in front of the doctor, I said ‘yes ok ok’. Thankfully my leg is not swollen. But now I can't walk on my left leg except on inward-twisted tiptoe. I need to ice it, relax, stay off my feet for a few days, If after a few days the pain still persists I need an ultra-sound. Oh God, I am feeling sick for my calf pain. I am feeling sick of taking pain killers, I don’t want taping techniques to support the injured tendon!!! Its no joke and such an inconvenience.

I never cancel my evening class, I still will go, but you dance I watch, all of you will be under my watchful eyes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,

    From your description, you probably have a ruptured plantaris muscle, a very long, very thin muscle in the calf that runs down to the heel. This is very typical for that injury. In addition to what you are doing, try adding a gentle compression ACE wrap from the knee, all the way to your toes. Also keep your leg elevated above your heart, to reduce swelling. And add an anti-inflammatory medicine like Advil (2 tabs 4X a day OR Aleve 2 tabs, twice a day. Be sure to take these with FOOD so you protect your stomach from ulcers or bleeding. You may also want to take some pharmaceutical grade fish oil, long trem, that has natural anti-inflammatory properties, without adverse side effects. Try here:
    http://favoriteformulas.com

    Hope you feel better soon.

    Best wishes,

    Dr. Bill Stillwell
    Orthopaedic Surgeon
    www.drbillsclinic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, do take care! I hope you will get well soon!

    ReplyDelete