Sunday, November 22, 2009

Back to Beginner for Tribal Belly Dance with Nanci Traynor

I hosted Tribal Belly Dance Workshop Series (30 hours) with Nanci Traynor. I am back to being a beginner. I have to keep moving forward, devouring whatever I can find. Yes! I was Back to beginner again in 6 hours workshop today!

Wow…Nanci got so much to share with us! Now I understand why we need 30 hours for this Tribal Belly Dance. Oh ya… I just wanted to clear up that, the 30 hours workshop is not mean for teacher training.

The first half of the class was focused in yoga. Nanci is knowledgeable about muscle movement work for this dance. She strongly emphasized safe posture again and again! The techniques she was teaching were quite different from many of the things I have learned before. The topic was “The body does what” today? Nanci only taught side to side, up and down, arms & anatomical illustrations, in this 6 hours workshop. To me, it was amazing because I want to learn tribal belly dance from the root. This part of the workshop was PACKED with tribal drills and it was very valuable to me.

Nanci handouts her well organized and comprehensive notes of history, choreography, homework and practice worksheet. She want all participants to practice before we continue in next coming workshop. I was impressed with the way Nanci keep the class on focus while making the class feel relaxed and fun. Her long history with the dance (her teacher is Rossah, one of Jamila Salipour’s multi talented dancers, and started dancing when she was 4) really shows through her teaching and knowledge, both about dance and movement. Again, she provided an excellent handout. I promised, I must practice, practice, practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment