Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Baledi Drills

I recently started teaching a drum solo class. The music brings together rhythms, which incorporate short sections of DD S T D TT, D T DD T, D T S T D T, D T T D T! It varies from traditional 'heavy' baledi to modern Egyptian pop. Haha..my students got torture by the oriental rhythm and my voice singing the DD S T D TT.....
Baledi or Balady means “ My lovely Country’ and also refers to the village or region of origin. Baladi is a Style of dance in Egypt. It is the dance of the people. You will find the Baledi in village and urban weddings and parties. It is also classically part of the Raks Sharki show.
This song was my favorite pieces and not too difficult – it comprised of three basic. Taxim/Baledi/Drum Solo. It starts out slow and gooey then gradually speed up, but never too crazy fast for the shimmies. I love baledi progressions, when I watch a professional belly dancer dances the baledi progression, especially improvisation with a live band, to me that is the "essence" of belly dancing, No matter what I see a dancer do. I love they way she convey the essence of femininity, her magnetic smile, feeling the music, and shimmying like it's going out of style! Oh her baledi will make me move
Baledi, belady, balady...so many different spelling? Doesn't matter, It just a spelling. The important things is I know how to play the rhythm on my laps and stomach for the "dom" and "tek", haha... Thank you to Hadia's Teacher Training! Egyptian way in this dance making it believable. I simply love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment