Monday, May 25, 2009

My 1st American Tribal Style Belly Dance Workshop





I’m glad to spread the Tribal magic in my own little way and express my feelings of the ATS journey.
I learned my 1st ATS Tribal workshop with Iara Kendrik (Samra) USA in Apr 2006. It wasn't long after I began my journey down the road of belly dance. The workshop was organized by Paola Blanton, and was held in The Dance Space in Kuala Lumpur. At that time I was so damn obessed with Egyptian style dance.

The workshop introduced to the ATS format and tribal technique through drills, the chorus line improvisation and a little of it's history. Oh my goshhh! I knew nothing about Tribal style belly dance. I was not really feeling the dance during the 3 hours workshop. I have hesitation in my movement, one thing I realized I actually made the mistake of ignoring my movement for quite sometime. But I felt there were something magical about Tribal style. I need a lot of hard work and training to fall naturally for this art. Since then, I started to research the subject on-line, watch the video clips as well many other instructions to recognized some ATS & Triabl movement. However, the more I look at videos, the more I like tribal dance.
The 2nd time I met Samra in Sept 2006, She brought me an instructional DVDs by Kajira Djoumahna American Tribal Style Belly Dance Vol. 2 as a gift to surprise me (A big Hug to Samra). The very next day I went to practice the moves. but I missed out some basic step in Vol. 1 (this is the only one ATS DVD in my library).

Then by chance, I studied American Tribal Style belly dance (FatChanceBellyDance) with Nigma last year. This is so exciting, and there’s so much to practice and so much to learn in Level I that everything seemed back to the roots. I agree it is really important to know what the roots and fundamentals of the dance. If you are considering yourself American Tribal Style then you should know the core elements of that (Carolena Nericcio-FCBD) style, the same format and the same cues, then you can dance together the same way when you walk into any ATS group.
Another thing I like the Tribal style of costuming. I made many of these costume elements, designing and sewing on the fly, stuff made with cowrie shells & etc. I will keep on learning and learning more. I
never got tired of learning belly dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment