Tuesday, February 17, 2009

To Practice or Not Practice after Workshop.

I am wondering how many of you do try to get something down after workshop? I encourage my student to take belly dance workshop, particularly at the intermediate/advance level, so that they may learn different approached and style, and when I follow up with them and asked how was class work out, they told me they learned and enjoyed it but never practice the choreography taught in the workshop. They gave me excuses that they have no time to practice!!
Hey, I think I am one of them. I go to a lot of workshops because I want to be the best dancer I can be, and because I love learning. Every workshop I took, I appreciated the instructor repeat and repeat to build on choreography, focus on building technique and skill. I don’t tend to practice or try to memorize choreography because I know I’m not going to perform it. But I will pick up the new things in those workshops and create my own dances.
There is no ‘right way’ or ‘wrong way’ to perform the choreography taught in the workshop or class. But always remember to give credit to the teacher who created them. I applaud the belly dancer from Penang (Mee Mee) quickness give credit to others when she performed the choreography taught in the workshop last year. (You would be amazed how many people do not.) Hurray Hurray for you!!


Note : Ask yourself why you do or don’t practice after workshop/class.

No comments:

Post a Comment