Monday, October 4, 2010

Sahara - Lebanese Style Workshop in K/L

It was fantastic Lebanese workshop with Sahara on Saturday & Sunday! Sahara is a gorgeous dancer! First time in my life I saw a belly dancer teaching with her sport shoe on! It seems like different style of dance master makes a big difference in the experience. The workshops were totally new for me! The workshop I attended :

Modern Choreography Lebanese Style
Balady
Drum Solo
Arabic Interpretation and Culture

The workshop was scheduled to run for two hours and we would be learning a (+-) 2 minute choreography. Woohoo! The music tends to be faster than oriental music. My back has been aching work on the shimmy, cant felt my legs at all! The fast spin, hip movements are more crisp than Egyptian style. And at the end I was exhausted but happy!! I love her choreographies, it was such a FUN to learn and do the movements.

I don't know much about Lebanese style, and Sahara explanation of the nuanced differences in Western styling in Lebanese vs. Egyptian raqs sharqi, Turkish helped me to understand much more. I believe that knowing the history behind it can change the way we dance and the way we think about it. Amazing that something is so small can have such an impact on my dancing too. Shukran for the notes and no regret I went for all the workshop!

Sahara, I cant wait to see u again!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment