Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Baladi Workshop

Super busy and I keep loosing weight!!!!! First thing is no home-made/cooked food and eat outside, sometime eat biscuits, and I do cook some instant noodle to solve the hunger, and worse come to worse, cup noodles! Now, I will collapse, cause I'm officially dead !!!! 

I'm already back from Katerina Shereen workshop (on last Saturday). It was the classic style Baladi workshops. Thought her style, I fall in love with her dance. What can I say, she is a beautiful dancer!!! I love her hands, she had the beautiful hands I have seen in a dancer. An experience just to see her dance and to see how she interpret the music. I tried to follow best I could but was not in the top of the class, hehehe. The choreo was fantastic and not demanding, a real beautiful Baladi! I remember she emphasized the importance of being relaxed and not cramming all tricks here and there. She said the Egyptian audience will hate you if you try to please them too much so you should just enjoy yourself on stage and they will love you. What else…? Oh yes, We listen to the MAWAL and Shereen  explained to it. So far I know what is Mawal, but it was a bit boring because I really cant understand the vocal Taqsim in a song.  Mawal  is similarly to an instrumental Taqsim. There are sometimes words that make sense. Sometimes random words of expression, So most of  times Mawal is improvising!  Mawal lets the singer show off the beauty of the human voice, show off the storytelling and improvisational skill as well as vocal abilities. Shereen said if you dance to Mawal part, it’s better understand the meaning of the vocal before you dance. Hmmm… this may not a great explanation from me,  but this is the best knowledge I picked up in the workshop! This is the Baladi workshop I got most out of I think, for becoming a better dancer. Thank you Shereen! 


Sadly can't attend her Shaabi and Saidi Workshops. I was just too busy to stay for the Sunday workshop.

1 comment:

  1. OH WOW! She IS very beautiful!
    I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!!

    but not so glad about the starving part (hehe).
    I hope you have a good, good rest now ya! And eat proper meals! :D
    And thank you for sharing more knowledgable posts with all of us!!
    I love this post!
    I learnt about Mawal and how turkish crowds reaction are!
    Take care!

    -katz

    ReplyDelete