Thursday, March 24, 2011

UUM Cultural Festival 2011


Drove all the way back from Sintok UUM last night,  by  the time I arrived almost 1am. I was exhausted and with numb butts after the long hours drive!!!  

Another experiment judging the UUM Cultural Festival 2011!! It was held at University Utara Malaysia on 23 March 2011. Surrounded by it beautiful greeneries and ample space makes it an ideal place to carry out  Cultural Festival activities. Honestly to say,  I am  not from the National Culture And Arts Department’s people, but I’m  still shocked yet excited and overwhelmed when I was invited to be one of the adjudicator  for this event - the Chinese & Indian Dance competition. The rest of the 4 adjudicators were from Culture And Arts Department in Northern region.  Of course, we knew what our responsibilities  and abilities upon couple of meeting and discussion.    

I reached UUM  at 4.45pm. I was  glad because I  arrived there safely in the rain. Thanks to my good friend accompany me all the way to UUM.  As usual, as soon as all other adjudicators arrived,  a short briefing  and discussion start,  then  we headed straight to the competition hall  for  the 1st session competition started at 5.30pm. The event attracted 15 teams participated throughout the competition. Each  team usually has 4 - 8 Malays/Chinese/Indian student. It was all 6 teams in the 1st session. It’s really  cool  when the Chinese girls danced to  Indian dance and  the   Malay group  did  the Chinese fans dance. Of course the fan dance  was  absolutely beautiful! Even if the moves were  simple and easy, it still  hard to get it synchronized, especially moving to a certain way,  I guessed  their  wrist circle must be  killing them  during the practice.

At 9pm, before entering the hall for the 2nd session,  I heard  the  sound of the kompang (a percussion instrument traditionally played during ceremonies such as weddings and official functions). Woohoo…. excited with the kompang team  were  there to welcome us! The  "kompang" team lead at the front and  2 kompang girls ushered all the  adjudicators to the sitting area. Ahhh..... I sang 'Negara Ku' before the competition  start. Cant remember how many years I didnt sing it!!!

Lots of food were served. At then end,  there was a  supper waiting for us, I didn’t join them, after shake hands with everyone and I made an excuses to leave, it really  too late for me. However,  I still came  back with full stomach and a big token!

Sorry for  not clear quality photo when I zoom in,   cant walk to  a good filming spot.  
 




No comments:

Post a Comment