Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Katerina Shereen Workshop – Raks Sharki + Baladi

Attended 6 hours private workshop with Katerina Shereen on 17 Sept. I've never taken a workshop with her. She has a strong Egyptian background. I really enjoyed with her teaching and information she shared in the workshop. I love that she's doing 4 hours of the Raks Sharki topic, it allows me to be much more in-depth and I loved every minute of it!. 

Baladi – I fell in love when I hosted Hadia last year! I fell in love when I watched Hadia performed the "classics" of middle eastern music. Fallen in love again with the qanun, oud, flute, drums, and other instruments used in this genre of music. 

Shereen’s Baladi – She made me fallen in love with her. I have so much to say about this workshop, wow! It is an extremely complicated to dance! My body is holding up fine, but my brain feels like mud. And I'm struggling to dance to qanun, oud, flute and drum. I have been working hard to do pauses and slower movements, and be less frantic feeling….. I am  wondering if there is any hope for me to dance to a piece of 7-8 minutes baladi music. I doubt it. The baladi topic was only covered for two hours, which was barely enough time to learn. I've been itching for another Baladi workshop, so this should be a really great time – Hadia’s Baladi in 2011! 

This is the main reason I continue to dance and teach belly dance. There are a few songs in my list I am going to choreograph, most of these are classical Arabic songs that the dancers dance with a live band.

No comments:

Post a Comment