Monday, January 5, 2009

Raks Assaya or Saidi Cane Dance

Cane dance costume I bought during Bali Lotus Dance Retreat 2007.



Everybody have just been busy since school re-open. Busy Girl gets to college, busy mom busy for back-to-school routine., Today, the first thing I heard when I step in to my studio were “Aaah, I have 80 over books need to wrap” One of busy mom told me that she have to wake up her 8-year-old! Get her to eat, get ready and get out the door with all her homework and without peanut butter all over her face. Haha… Whoa, Mom! It’s back to school time and the energy is great.

I started my saidi cane dance class with saidi beats. The cane dance is a peppy and playful women's dance using a cane. I taught my student some techniques to hold the cane and show them the gallabiya costume. We did some combinations of dance – The Echappe Coupe Coupe which I learned from Nurriya when I was in Cairo. The step is basically a hop on both feet, and a lifting of the other leg.

Guess what! They were hooked and fell in love with cane dance.



No comments:

Post a Comment