Monday, August 11, 2008

Life of Teaching Belly Dance ......

I wrote an article for my belly dance in 2006 regarding my experiences teaching dance. Since then, I never write again. But on and off, I will write my blog.

I am currently busy. It's been quite a long time with not even a update in my blog. Shame on me!!! Lots of things happened and if I tried to tell everything, you would be surely bored to death. So here goes some highlights of teaching days…

Since I started teaching, I'm always curious ... I don’t hand out a printed copy of my class rules, and I just go over them verbally. I've taken many classes with other instructors, and I do not recall receiving written or verbal instructions from any of them. Each time when I teach a new beginenr group, I do have a handout that I give out the first night of class, a kind of general info about Middle Eastern dance and the different kinds of styles and my philosophy. I’ve found that this works well.

Sudent asked me CDs for home practice, Usually I never give or burn to sell. I bought those CDs by independent musicians records copmany, and each time I’ll write a review or email to artist. I’m supporting those artists so in turn can get more music in the future! In this day and age, most music is quite easy to find and purchase. I don’t want to reproduce it, which is not a right in copyright issues.


My job is to actually TEACH DANCE, and along the way I want to make that experience fun, challenging, and gratifying, no matter what level someone is working at! Always, whether in group classes or in private lessons, I bring to my students two things : an extensive knowledge of dance and also my ability to communicate that knowledge with skill, humor, and honesty. And frankly, Sometimes it is the student, and their ability, or willingness, and I try to nudge them where they need to go.

I recently completed my intensive yoga course. I have revised my warm up to more seriously address the core muscle issues. My workout is no more that 5-6 minutes in length, but does warm up. This is important for the person who really wants to learn how to dance, I mailed flyers for publicity and all the belly dancers I knew. I want to start a new class for BellyRobics. I believe that this is beyond the "something fun to do" stage and into the "really want to learn how to dance" stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment