Sunday, August 17, 2008

Belly Dance Teacher With Nothing To Teach??

There has been many dancers bringing in many wonderful artists to teach belly dance. There are also many workshops presented throughout the year. I’ve seen the teacher when she first started teaching, she went to workshops and bringing the choreography back to her troupe then performed all over in the local event, I know she teaches none of her own work! it was cool! They just want to perform without creating their own choreography. They don’t have to spend time creating, and it would be good to perform without giving a credit to the chorographer. Hey! they’ve forgot things like copyright issues.

Ok fine! I even seen one of the teacher B she learnt it from A for a while, and she become a teacher after that. And B is teaching the same choreography that A use in her class routine, and guess what, when you go to the showcase, they are all the same choreographies you will see.

I remember when I first started teaching, I spent a lot of time when creating my choreography. It nearly took me a month to finish the whole music. As I grew in the dance, with the right knowledge and a concise process of creation, choreography can be much easier nowadays. It takes time for me to really learn how to teach well. Besides, my ability to teach also grew and I didn't need other people's work as a crutch anymore.

To create an exciting, dynamic dance, all you need to do is mastery of oriental dance technique, knowledge and acceptance of your capabilities and limits, understanding of the oriental culture and music, a good ear for rhythm and instrumentation, and the ability to visualize the effect and feelings you wish to portray.

Choreography is a talent like dance which can be learned, practiced and improved. However, also like dance, choreography is an art.

No comments:

Post a Comment